Thursday, January 1, 2009

Cross country skiing once again

December 26th, 2008

Back to the woods



I had skied a couple of times in the prior two weeks in our backyard. I wondered if I could ski in the woods again. The day after Christmas I decided to try. It was a beautiful winter day in Wisconsin. The temperature was a few degrees below freezing, 10 centimeters of fresh snow had fallen, and the sun was shining. I went with my family to 9 Mile Swamp which has many kilometers of groomed ski trails. I knew skating was impossible and used my classic cross country skis. Then my seventeen-year old son and I started down the trail. I loved listening to the crunch of the snow as we glided through the white pine, birch and maple woods. I could handle the flats, and the gentle uphill grades. After fifteen minutes of skiing my thigh muscles were fatigued and it was difficult to hold the tuck position and I fell. I sat in the snow, resting. A few minutes later my son gave me a hand standing up. Ninety minutes later we returned to the lodge. I'm not sure how far Zach I had skied, but it would have been unimaginable, that I would be back in the woods on my skis a year ago.



December 20, 2008




My tilt-recline wheelchair is gone.




This was a day which I had not thought would ever come. I donated my tilt-recline wheelchair to charity. They picked it up. Jackie took a picture of me waving good-bye to it.

For the past couple of weeks I have not been changing much. It could be the recent bout of vomiting and diarrhea that has gone through our household!

I also got out my cross country ski boots, and my cross country skis. It was just a few loops around our back yard, but I skied. Snow was falling. Fresh rabbit tracks were in the yard. Bright red berries were on the winter berry shrubs. The tall ornamental grasses swayed in the breeze. It was beautiful.

No comments: